Advanced Programs in Harrisburg
What is best for gifted students is what is best for all students: a spectrum of services that address their varying needs and provide significant differentiation of content, process product and environment in response to these diverse needs. Employing evidence-based programming will enable them to reach their potential.
- Accelerated Pace- instruction is telescoped and matched to student need and content standards at their performance level
- Significant time is spent with other able learners
- Inquiry-based learning addresses issues and concepts
- Flexible Groupings/ Assessments inform instruction
- Individual Research and Study
- Teachers have strong content knowledge as well as a degree/endorsement in teaching or significant experiences with students who are gifted
- Learning responses call for higher levels of thinking, divergent and abstract thinking, and problem-solving
- Active, student-based learning focuses on problems, simulations, proof and reasoning
- Coherent K-12 curriculum with smooth transitions
- Diverse and appropriate materials (matched to the advanced and modified curriculum) need to be accessible
- Learning environment supports each student’s social/emotional growth and their ability to self-regulate
- Referral from teacher or parent
- Checklist of characteristics
- Achievement Tests- 4 areas
- IQ Test
- Creativity Assessment
- Matrix Score
Tiger Reserve is the full-time option available to students in grades 2,3,4 and 5 from any elementary building. Students must be identified as TAG in order to participate at the elementary level. Students and families electing to join a full-time Tiger Reserve option need to know that students are expected to work hard to develop the following academic behaviors and habits:
- be self-motivated and come to class to learn
- be willing to work at a faster pace
- participate actively in class and do not stop the learning of others
- produce quality work complete nightly homework and long term projects
- demonstrate an intense desire to be challenged by breadth and depth of course content
Tiger Trek is the send-out option available at the elementary level. Students participate in academic enrichment/extension lessons for a three day block once a month within a multi-age grouping.
Advanced Courses in Middle & High School
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- AP/Dual Credit
- Academic Contests
How Is Advanced Content Different?
Content, Process, Product & Learning Environment are modified to best meet the needs of these learners. Content may be 1 - 3 years above grade level.